The Library of Congress added 25 titles to the National Recording Registry, including Kenny Rogers’ 1978 hit, “The Gambler,” which was penned by Don Schlitz.
“The song was not written about gambling, it was written with a very personal look at life,” said Kenny, according to the Library of Congress. “To say I’m proud is an understatement. It speaks very highly for Don Schlitz’s writing ability. I am very impressed and appreciative of this great award.”
“I actually wrote [the song] in my head,” said Don Schlitz. “To have anyone listen to any of your songs and appreciate any of them is miraculous, is great. To have Kenny Rogers sing one of your songs is way over the moon.”
Other titles selected this year include Merle Travis’ 1946 album, Folk Songs of the Hills,” Arlo Guthrie’s 1967 single, “Alice’s Restaurant Massacree,” Fleetwood Mac’s 1977 album, Rumours, The Temptations’ 1964 single, “My Girl,” and more.
The 25 titles were chosen based on their “culturally, historically or aesthetically significant” importance. This year’s additions bring the Registry’s total to 500 titles.
Take a look at this year’s selections below.
- “Dream Melody Intermezzo: Naughty Marietta” (single), Victor Herbert and his Orchestra (1911)
- Standing Rock Preservation Recordings, George Herzog and Members of the Yanktoni Tribe (1928)
- “Lamento Borincano” (single), Canario y Su Grupo (1930)
- “Sitting on Top of the World” (single), Mississippi Sheiks (1930
- The Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas (album), Artur Schnabel (1932-1935)
- “If I Didn’t Care” (single), The Ink Spots (1939)
- Proceedings of the United Nations Conference on International Organization (4/25/45-6/26/45)
- Folk Songs of the Hills (album), Merle Travis (1946)
- “How I Got Over” (single), Clara Ward and the Ward Singers (1950)
- “(We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock” (single), Bill Haley and His Comets (1954)
- Calypso (album), Harry Belafonte (1956)
- “I Left My Heart in San Francisco” (single), Tony Bennett (1962)
- “King Biscuit Time” (radio), Sonny Boy Williamson II and others (1965)
- “My Girl” (single), The Temptations (1964)
- The Sound of Music (soundtrack), Various (1965)
- “Alice’s Restaurant Massacree” (single), Arlo Guthrie (1967)
- New Sounds in Electronic Music (album), Steve Reich, Richard Maxfield, Pauline Oliveros (1967)
- An Evening with Groucho (album), Groucho Marx (1972)
- Rumours (album), Fleetwood Mac (1977)
- “The Gambler” (single), Kenny Rogers (1978)
- “Le Freak” (single), Chic (1978)
- “Footloose” (single), Kenny Loggins (1984) remake released in 2011.
- Raising Hell (album), Run-DMC (1986)
- “Rhythm Is Gonna Get You” (single), Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine (1987)
- Yo-Yo Ma Premieres: Concertos for Violoncello and Orchestra (album), Various (1996)
photo by Tammie Arroyo, AFF-USA.com