At a media event on Aug. 3, Dolly Parton revealed plans for a $37-million expansion dubbed Wildwood Grove at her Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge, Tenn.
Wildwood Grove, which is slated to open in 2019, represents the largest capital investment in Dollywood’s 32-year history. Wildwood Grove will feature 11 new experiences for guests, including a new restaurant, climbing structure and roller coaster called the Dragonflier.
“This area is going to give families a place to explore, play and imagine together—but more importantly—it’s a place where they can spend more time together,” Dolly said. “I believe everyone has a song in their heart that needs to be set free. Wildwood Grove will be a place where families can learn together about what their heart song truly is.”
Wildwood Grove’s Featured Attractions:
- Wildwood Tree: A 55-foot tree that grows from a cluster of natural rocks and boulders, which will serve as the area’s focal point and feature a nighttime show and concerts. Its canopy will be adorned with thousands of butterflies.
- The Dragonflier: A suspended 453-meter roller coaster that lets guests soar like a dragonfly.
- Black Bear Trail: A ride where kids can hop on the backs of mechanical bears for a trek around the area.
- Sycamore Swing: A leaf boat swing which will swing guests back and forth.
- Treetop Tower: A ride that sends guests 40 feet into the air in giant acorns and spins them around to see the Smoky Mountains.
- Mad Mockingbird: A ride that spins guests in circles, and they can control their experience by moving a sail.
- Frogs & Fireflies: A ride where guests can hop on frogs and ride them as they race each other around a lily pad.
- Hidden Hollow: A 4,000-foot indoor, climate controlled climb structure with slides and games.
- Wildwood Creek: An oasis with pop jets and splashing pools.
- Four new costumed characters and entertainment including Flit and Flutter, butterfly ambassadors for the Wildwood Tree, and Benjamin Bear.
- Till & Harvest: A restaurant featuring fresh Southwest items including burritos, salads, pulled pork, slaw, a topping bar with salsas and a walk-up window with churros and ice cream.
Take a look at some photos from Dolly’s Wildwood Grove media day on Aug. 3, courtesy of Curtis Hilbun, AFF-USA.com.
photos by Curtis Hilbun, AFF-USA.com